Friday, April 24, 2009
So, after I kicked myself out of the cozy little studio with the beautiful new floor and moved back into the garage to coexist with mountains of household junk and dead appliances and yard equipment, I decided to give myself a little extra elbow room by building a vertical rack to store my frames, paintings (wet and dry), panels, and canvases.
I've been meaning to build one of these for years but I've finally become desperate enough for space that I was forced to get off my ass and build one. It's 8ft x 8ft x 2ft, and built with 2x4s, 1 x 3s and 1 x 8s. It's rude and crude, but it works very well.
All the posts (ten in all) are 2 x 4's and the ones against the wall are secured to the studs with 3 inch corner brackets, which eliminates the need for stringing cables diagonally in order to keep the heavy shelving from leaning over. Of course, this makes it immovable, but I doubt I'll want to move it around anyway.
The short (2ft) pieces and the long horizontal front pieces are 1 x 3's.
The 2 ft pieces are paired for strength and easily supports the shelf pieces.
The shelves, including the floor piece, are made from two 1 x 8's laid down side by side with a few inches of space in between, and I used the extra 1 x 3s to fill in the front edge of the shelves. The reason I left space between the 1 x 8's is so that I can insert a 1 x 2 stick through them where the short pieces meet the horizontal pieces, to act as sort of bookends, so the smaller canvases don't fall over.
This thing is very sturdy, and holds a lot, but unbelievably, I have a lot more frames and canvases that need to be put away somewhere. I think it may be time for a ritual bonfire!
By the way, not that it matters but I built this thing without using a tape measure or a ruler. The reason why I made it 8 ft x 8ft is because the lumber is commonly sold in 8ft lengths, so I didn't need to cut them. I just had to cut the 2ft pieces, and the shelf pieces. Those I just measured against previously cut pieces and canvases laying around the studio, so I'm sure they're not accurate.
Next, I have to build a tableau cart thing, because what I'm using now is too high and a little inconvenient... but I'm not desperate enough to start right away.
Posted by Terry Miura at 4:09 PM