Friday, July 16, 2010

Sunny Dress




This morning's three-hour session. You'd think anyone can sit still for a painting session. But no, if you've ever sat for any length of time, you know it isn't easy. The problem is, too many people become models thinking it's an easy way to make some money, and end up flooding the pool with incompetence.

But I'm not going to go into a rant about incompetent models here. That would get outta control pretty quickly. Sometimes, I'm just happy if they show up on time.

Amy (today's model) is great. She was willing to sit with her legs crossed for this pose, knowing she was going to be hurting later (and she was, too.) Not only did she not complain, but she held the pose and her sunny disposition didn't waiver. Yeah, it's work, both for her and for us artists. I don't know about you, but if the model is suffering up there on the stand, I can't do what I need to do either. Nobody wins. So if a model can sit for a long-pose session with legs crossed and still be happy, I really appreciate that.

Anyway, this painting came together fairly smoothly - except for the hands, with which I struggled and ended up overworking - she was actually sitting on a regular metal folding chair. I changed the legs of the chair, and added the rest of the environment as I painted. That is to say, I made everything up except for Amy.

I think I've said this before, but this way of painting - making stuff up as I go - is really fun. Like writing and reading a short story at the same time. It's fascinating to see a storyline develop as you are painting, and sometimes there are surprises along the way. If the painting comes out OK, that's almost a bonus. Very satisfying.



This weekend I'm teaching a figure drawing workshop. I think it is going to be a pretty good workout!

2 comments:

  1. This is just awesome, Terry. I love the "made up" background elements too. All combines to make one beautiful painting (and I think the hands are spot on!)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice little bit on models. I didn't think about that. Although I never had a model pose for me. I would agree it would be difficult. I can't stand being still for any lenght of time.

    I like you painting also, and the added background. To bad you couldn't make up the colors on her so she wouldn't have to sit so long. But I guess that would be difficult, it deffinitely would be for me.


    ~Kirby

    ReplyDelete