Thursday, September 9, 2010

Amador Wine Country



Summer's End, 9 x 12 inches, oil on linen


This weekend, I am off to teach another three-day plein air painting workshop, this time in the beautiful Amador wine country. Amador is indeed an bona fide appelation, although not well known outside of the Sierra foothills. It's a small, beautiful and unnoticed cousin of the famous Napa and Sonoma wine regions.

I usually go up there (just a 45 minute drive from home) to taste wine and not to paint, but I reckon I'll be doing both this weekend.





Fleeting Hour, 9 x 12 inches, oil on linen


We'll be painting at a couple of wineries, which should give us plenty of variety of subject matter. I have a demo spot picked out for tomorrow afternoon, too. Hopefully it won't be too hot or windy.






Crossing the Valley, 6 x 8 inches, oil on linen


I'm really looking forward to painting with my band of unruly (not really, I hope) students in this beautiful place - we can't not have a good time! Wine will only make it better, too.

There's one more thing. I read this article in the LA Times earlier in the year, and am dying to go to Buffalo Chips and try their pie. Amador City is just a few minutes from where we'll be painting, so perhaps for lunch one day, I'll be having a slice of pie :-)





Farmland Patchwork, 6 x 8 inches, oil on linen

The paintings I posted today are all going to my upcoming exhibition at Anne Loucks Gallery in Chicago/Glencoe. If you are interested in any of these, give Anne a shout. I haven't sent her the paintings yet, but you might be able to put dibs on one before the show opens.

I may not have time to post this weekend, but you'll get a full report of my Amador painting adventure at some point~


12 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing
    This fabulous work with us
    Good creations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the light in these Terry. The top and bottom two are my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first paintings I ever saw of yours was at the late, great Exploding Head Gallery. They were your road paintings but with a more muted color palette. I really liked them and I like these as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your subtle value and temperature shifts are so perfect. Just enough to make us leap into the distance, but applied with a bold brush so it all stays fresh and exciting. I'm so glad you post these. Such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your road paintings. They so accurately evoke central and northern California--the light and colors are embedded in my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, everyone~ I really like doing these little road paintings - I'm hoping they'll turn into BIG road paintings. Workin' on 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are very successful, Terry. The layers of depth and accuracy of linear perspective make for very strong and interesting compositions. Showcasing as a group really makes an impact too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely paintings. Hope you shall have a lovely time painting this beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Perry, Vinayak~

    the workshop went very well! I haven't had time to write about it but we had a wonderful time. Great locations, students, weather, and wine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We went on your suggestion and it was wonderful! Lovely scenery, climate and people! tHANKS for the tip great way to spend a b.d.

    ReplyDelete