Monday, September 27, 2010

Autumn Arrives


Autumn Arrives, 16 x 20 inches, oil on linen


Here's one that I'm just finishing up for my show. At 16 x 20, it is a little bit larger than many of the others. I have a few more 16 x 20's and a couple of 24 x 36's yet to to be shipped.  They're finished and just sitting in my studio, drying. If I ship them later this week, they will arrive in Chicago with days to spare so I feel pretty good. 

The very last paintings, which were the larger ones went more smoothly than I'd anticipated, giving me extra time for packing and shipping. Honestly, I thought I would be struggling to pull off the big ones because the first of the large ones was a doozy and I had to scrape it twice.

The most recent paintings show more expressive brushwork, resulting in both more interesting abstraction, and restraint. By restraint I mean not rendering the hell out of everything. Learning to suggest rather than describe is, of course, easier said than done. I've done thousands of paintings and I'm just now beginning to understand what is meant by "less is more". At least, as the phrase applies to my paintings.

I think it will take hundreds more paintings and much contemplation before I can articulate it effectively, but I feel a door has opened up which allows me a glimpse into where to take my art from here. It may be another tangent or a dead-end road, but I believe this one's worth investigating!





3 comments:

  1. Beautiful piece! I love the choice of sky colors and the simple, yet effective atmospheric perspective.

    ReplyDelete