Saturday, November 13, 2010

Coffee?


I'm a coffee drinker. Or more precisely, an addict. But I've cut back considerably in the last twenty years - I'm now down to only one pot a day! I like my coffee fresh, and I like it strong but not so strong that its acidity or bitterness overpowers the nice roasty flavor of a good French Roast. I drink my coffee black.

I drink coffee whenever I'm working.  If I have to work at night, I still have to have coffee. This wasn't a problem when I was younger and my schedules more flexible, but with kids in school it does beat me up. Drinking coffee won't keep me up at night but I often wake up exhausted, and I'm no good the next day.  I have a night class to teach once a week, so on Fridays I'm a zombie. It's a good thing that these open figure sessions are on Friday mornings - a no pressure, ease into your groove kind of thing. Surrounded by other painters of considerable skill, it's both inspiring and energizing. Just what a zombie needs.


This painting was done at yesterday's session. No, we did not have the session in a restaurant - that junk is made up as usual. If you want to see what the set up actually looked like, my pal DaLo has some pics on his blog. Check 'em out~  You'll see just how much I abuse and exploit my artistic license! There are other good painters in there but I don't think they have blogs, or if they do their efforts haven't been posted. Too bad, because it would be really interesting and instructive to ponder upon each artist's decision making process that lead to the final outcome. (Are you reading this, Susan?)



12 comments:

  1. If you're talking to me, yes I am reading. I just clicked your link to find the argyle model I saw earlier today! Ha ha, I'd have never guessed. You're imaginary set up is better than focusing on those pathetic nylons. Too much coffee seems to work for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee~ I'm finding out quickly that I have a disproportionate number of friends and acquaintances named Susan! (besides your comment, two emails already. and I *just* posted this thing!)

    I couldn't paint those nylons if I tried!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading about your affair with COFFEE; I'm the same way too in the morning- 'coffee coffee coffee' is in my head. Terrific painting- can you put the sizes down, so I can imagine your brushstrokes better? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful painting Terry! You are so good at "making things up"! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Judy~ I keep thinking I should just get a mobile IV so I can just drip coffee right into my veins but I'm afraid of needles so I guess that option is out.

    The painting is 16 x 12.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love your brushwork. I think a painting should be as interesting at 2' as it is at 20' and vice versa. Great painting.

    I love my coffee as well! I probably get close to a pot a day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this one! I've been realizing lately how important it is not to be too literal. Putting things into your painting, or taking things out- that's what makes the painting yours, and not someone else's... gosh, my coffee cup is empty, gotta go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Vinayak~ making stuff up is what I do! It's like lying, only I don't get into trouble :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Boyd, thanks a lot! I have been paying closer attention to my brushwork in the last few years. Thanks for noticing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Brooke~ I love your work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathy, ain't that the truth! I've always worked this way, even before I was an illustrator. Pursuing my identity was the farthest thing from my mind then, but now i see it's the most important thing. For me, anyway.

    ReplyDelete