Thursday, December 23, 2010

Figure Sketches



A couple of sketches from a figure session a few weeks ago. Our sessions are three hours long, and we have a single pose for the duration (with breaks, of course) .  Sometimes I'll do one painting, other times, I do two or three quicker ones. Three hours don't seem like enough time to do a fully resolved painting on a good sized canvas, but most of the time, these sessions are meant for studies and practice. 

While we try to set up the model and the lighting with some care, we have to consider the fact that the set up needs to work for multiple artists, from multiple angles. This really limits the kind of set ups we can do. If I were to do a set up that I wanted, with intention of doing a gallery-bound painting, nobody else in the room will be happy.  So I just take these sessions as opportunities to improve my craft, and not to make paintings that I'm willing to exhibit at a gallery show. Those will have to come from private sessions.






I'm not complaining. I'm differentiating studies from concept-driven, fully resolved work. To that end, I tend to think doing these quicker sketches has a lot of merit. Probably more than spending three hours on a larger canvas trying to do a more finished painting that's never going to leave the studio. When I ask myself, what am I learning from these studies? What do I want to learn from these studies? I always come to the conclusion that spending more time on a sketch than absolutely necessary confuses my intent.

There are times when my intent is to explore different value structures - light on dark, dark on light, etc. and I keep repainting on top of what I've done, and that can take more than three hours. But I'm not spending the time tediously and mindlessly rendering the forms – I'm still on track as far as my intent goes.  The same is true when I'm exploring processes of layering. I call that "overworking on purpose". But see, I have a purpose. It's when I deviate from my original intent (what am I studying with this sketch?) and start overworking without purpose...that's when three hours become way too much time.

The set up doesn't have to be perfect or even all that interesting for practice and studies. In fact, I think it's extremely good exercise to try and make something interesting from an uninspiring set up. I can always learn something from such an exercise. I can always work to improve my drawing, try different color strategies and brushwork. I'd rather work with an uninspiring set up, than not at all.

But I digress. These sketches aren't from an uninspiring set up. On the contrary, I thought it had great potential for a fully resolved painting later on. My intent was to explore value structures first of all –not to neglect other important things, of course. If I decide to do a "finish" later, I'll hire the model for a private session and take as many hours as necessary to do it right.

8 comments:

  1. Terry, how large are these quicker studies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are both 9 x 12's, Janice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Terry, let me say how much I enjoy your blog. Good stuff.
    When I go to figurative sessions I ultimately get frustrated with the moderator. One in particular uses 4 light sources. One day I asked if we could just use one light source and all of the participants actually gasped. I openly laughed at everyone in the room.
    The work done by the artists in that lighting situation looks terrible.
    Private sessions are the way to go. All of the decisions about the final outcome belong to you.
    I have to find like-minded artists in my area to help share the cost of those sessions but it ultimately leads to the best experience with figurative work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for such a lovely post. Your blog-posts are always so informative and enlightening. Thaks for sharing how to make the best of such opportunities.
    Best wishes,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Years! Thanks for sharing
    your art, it is a gift I enjoy!
    Cheers to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As all ways you say well, so lets us hope for a rich year to come, were we can be with you and whit mucho gusto.
    Best wishes my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool art. I like the mixture of paint. Nice work! Thanks for sharing this here..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, and Happy New Year to you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete