Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Even Quicker


 After reading my recent post on doing quickies, a friend of mine reminded me that another great way to make use of limited time was simply to draw in sketchbooks, rather than set up all that gear and paint. 

Even when I'm doing quickie oils, I do these little drawings anyway, and I hadn't given them much thought, but he's right. Drawing is not only a great way to do limited time studies, but absolutely essential in keeping your chops greased. If you don't practice drawing, you won't get very far.


These are sketches from my sketchbook. I use a 8 x 5 Moleskine,  and an ordinary pen or a pencil to do my sketching. I'm not really picky about my sketching materials. Any paper and pencil / pen combination will do.




 As with oil studies, I try to think about what aspect of the model (or the landscape. or whatever I have in front of me or in my mind's eye) I'm studying. Is it the gesture? The shapes? Light and Shadow patterns? Form? Composition? As I focus on that particular aspect, I try really hard not to dilute my focus by also emphasizing other aspects. This habit of defining your emphasis translates to automatically thinking about hierarchy of importance when you are actually painting, I noticed. 

Trying to do everything is not only difficult, it's counterproductive in a quick study. I don't need that kind of pressure anyway.




Perhaps because I avoid that pressure of trying to do everything perfectly, I find that drawing in my sketchbook to be a very relaxing activity. I can do it just about anywhere, whenever I have five or ten minutes. I don't plan on showing these to anyone (oops I just did in this post, didn't I?) so I don't care if my drawings come out badly.
  

 The above drawings were done as warm ups before the oil quickies, and here they are. The oils too are just quick studies. Not as quick as the drawings, but still done with very limited time per sketch.



When I first do the pen sketches and then do the oils, the painting goes faster as well. At least, with less frustration. I've already gone through some of the editing process during the pen sketch, and I've also identified some problems and solutions before starting the oil studies, so I have an easier time working with paint.




 Sometimes I get hasty and in my eagerness to start painting, I skip the sketchbook stage. We all do that. But almost always I kick myself later because I can easily see that I gave myself unnecessary frustration by not pre-solving some of the problems. Easy to say "I got lazy."  As long as I keep getting lazy, though, I'm not getting any better. And that's a fact.








6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Very informative.I sketch too, using crayons!!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry, thanks for the reminder about the sketching. I have all the materials, and not much to show for it. I recently watched a video via Susan Lyon and loved her technique, was planning to try it. Glad to know I don't have to have it all just right to get going.
    Was gonna take your class tomorrow cause I don't teach, but Wow, the sunshine is calling and I'm gonna do some plein air down at Land Park instead.
    Planned to try and come after my morning classes but find that I really need a break afterwards. Maybe it will get easier.
    best, ran

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous advice and you have infused me with the desire and need to learn to sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks susan, randy, autumn~!

    Susan, crayons are the bomb! I have a ton of them everywhere around the house, thanks to my 3 yr old daughter.

    Randy, the sunshine has been pretty inviting lately indeed. 'hope you got some decent weather in between fog and all~ although fog is a lot of fun to paint too:-)

    Autumn, just do it! it's the easiest way to keep your drawing skills moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you know that many great artists, like Picasso for example, used Moleskine notebooks so you're in really great company!!

    ReplyDelete