Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy New Year!



Hurricane, 36 x 24 inches, oil on linen
This painting is available from Anne Irwin Fine Art

Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a great holiday. Mine was nice and low key, just the way I like it. I was able to go through it without much stress this time around.

However, I also didn't paint much. Actually, I didn't paint at all in the last few weeks. The guilt is increasing each hour and if I don't get back to painting soon, I'll surely die. 

I haven't been slacking off completely though. I've been doing other chores that come with this job, like upgrading technology (got a new computer!) and learning new software to hopefully be more efficient in keeping track of my inventory and archives. I've been doing this in iPhoto all this time, but I finally decided I needed something more professional so I've upgraded to Aperture, which works similarly but a lot more robust in terms of organizing metadata. Good stuff, but learning new software is rough on my feeble brain at this age. LOL

In other news, I now have a new studio! Attached to the School of Light and Color (where I teach) there used to be a co-op gallery which closed its doors as of last month. So I took it. It is a fabulous space–high ceilings, big north light, a hanging system and track lighting (it was a gallery) and it's really convenient since I live two minutes from it, and I teach at the school. 

Very exciting, but it's a lot of work, too. I have to build work tables, partitions, a vertical rack, model stands, shelving... There'll be a lot of sawing and hammering in the next month or so. I'll take some pics later on and keep you posted on my progress.

When it is finally presentable, I'll do an open studio. Stay tuned!!



11 comments:

  1. Hearty congratulations on acquiring your new stdio. New computer, new software and new studio have all coincided with the new year, which looks like a very good omen. May you have awonderful and arty new year.
    Best wishes,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to thank you for all the work and info you share through this Blog. I feel like I need to send you my subscription money! I know it's a lot of work. I'm waiting for you to collect it all in a big book. Sorry, I went from thanking you to asking for more work.

    Happy New Year Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love me some atmospheric perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks you guys!! and happy new year!

    Randy, fortunately for me, it doesn't feel like work - it feels more like a habit:-) As for book... who knows, it might happen, if I can figure out how to differentiate mine from all the excellent art books out there already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new studio- sounds perfect. Nice painting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy NY, and I hope to see you studio some fine day. Need help hammering and cutting? Don't call me, I'll call you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great that you soon will have a finished studio. Look forward to the progress pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice painting Terry! Congrats on the new studio, hope the best for you this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Genial
    and happy new year to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks you guys~ come visit me any time~!

    ReplyDelete