Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Red Sofa


Red Sofa, 12 x 24 inches, oil on linen


I have a nice new sofa in the studio!  And that means really cool reclining poses. I've been wanting to do some of these classic reclining compositions for a while now, but haven't been able to because I didn't have a studio where I could put a sofa. And I didn't have a sofa. My couch in my living room is way too big to move, and I couldn't really paint in there anyway.

But now that I've got a proper studio, I have no more excuses. I had to get a sofa. Originally I wanted a small Victorian-styled (that is to say, fake) sofa or something like it. But I couldn't find one that fit my measly budget.  I didn't want one that was too contemporary, either. 

I looked for one in thrift stores, yard sales, Ikea, and many discount stores, but couldn't find exactly what I wanted. After a while the search became ridiculous - every day I didn't find a sofa, was a day I wasn't painting a reclining figure. At this rate, I thought, it might take years before I found what I wanted, so I decided to forget the Victorian (for now) and just get something new, small, comfortable and not to stylized. I found just the thing at World Market! Pretty good price, too. (on sale for $300, including slipcover) 

I tried it out last Friday at the open figure session and it worked out great. It didn't hurt that I had my favorite model posing for us, either.

In fact, it worked out so well that Susan (runs the school next door) decided to get an identical sofa in gray which will stay in the classroom. My red sofa will stay in the lounge/library of my studio and will be brought out as need arises.

There will be many more reclining-nude-on-the-sofa paintings to come!



12 comments:

  1. Congradulations on your new sofa! Beautiful painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is a good way to eliminate those intern arguments about watt I do with the background.
    I will agree, also hundred per cent in the choice of color to. Look the resultant beautiful flesh color. A sensible choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice sofa, Terry. The painting is wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful painting! Love the red color of the sofa as a foil for the figure, and I love your painterly loose brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Susan, Gilberto, Autumn and Dave~

    I can't remember the last time I got so excited about a cheap sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sofa, and the painting is quite nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful painting! Funny how when your looking for something specific at thrift stores you can't find it. When you don't need it, or have the money, then they have plenty!! I like your choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. red is a very rare color in sofas. Generally people prefers to but black or brown sofas. But red looks stunning.
    -reclining loveseats

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just had the same experience looking for a new studio table - something to set still lives up on! And I found it - last week - after months of searching. So, congrats. I understand your struggle!!! Loved seeing the pics of your new studio, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice mood and fresh paint! Maybe not so much for a living room, but red is great choice for a studio! Looking forward to seeing more figures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Sarah~ I need a new table too. LOL

    Hey Bryan, congrats on your new signature member status! way to go, dooood!!

    ReplyDelete