Monday, May 30, 2011

Sonoma Plein Air - Day 5


The Back Way, 11 x 14



Friday. This is the last day of painting, and also the day of the gala event. Typically I would do one or two small no-pressure paintings in the morning, and spend the afternoon touching up, signing, photographing, and framing the week's effort.

However when I peeked out the window this morning I saw that it was drizzling. Not that I can't paint in the rain, but I kinda had my mind set on doing no-pressure paintings. Taking it easy, that is. So I just decided to brew myself a cup of strong coffee and started on the afternoon's work of busystuffs first. May be by afternoon it'll clear up and I can squeeze in a painting before the big gala.

I had ten paintings to photograph and frame, which takes a while. A few of them needed some last minute fixes (usually there's a few that need help) so I spent the entire morning on doing that. From experience, I knew all this took about three hours. Even at a very leisurely pace, I was done by noon, and I saw that by then the rain had let up and the sun was shining.

I didn't need to be at the gala till 4:30, so plenty of time to go out and paint. As is my habit, I had already staked out spots for my Friday no-pressure paintings, so I didn't have to waste my time looking for a spot. I went there directly, set up, and painted this one with a cup of coffee in my left hand.

I was very happy with it, and decided this one will be my gift to my wonderful hosts.

The big gala event is held again this year at the Cline Cellars barrel room, transformed into a fancy white-tablecloth venue. Everyone arrived dressed up and with their best piece of the week. What a great show! There were some really nice pieces that I would love to have taken home with me.

Keith Wicks won best of show with his stunning painting of the facade of the old hotel on the town square. I thought that was the right piece to win. Bryan Taylor and Michelle Usibelli got Honorable Mentions. Congrats you guys!!

After a great dinner, (lots of wine, good conversation, and tons of money raised for the art programs of Sonoma County schools) we said good night, and went home to rest up for the Saturday's big show and sale. My gala piece didn't sell at the silent auction, but I was pretty sure it'll go the next day so I wasn't particularly worried. I found out the next day, though, that some of the patrons wanted to buy it but thought it was already taken, apparently, because I had put down the price in the wrong spot of the bid sheet?   Huh. I wonder how many times that's happened without my realizing. Or to other artists? Something to bring to the organizers' attention, may be.

One more day to go!

3 comments:

  1. Love the commentary on your trip! Your thumbnails are excellent and so informative. Thanks for posting them. This is a beautiful painting. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one too - and others. Thanks for sharing advice and insights. As I am getting back into painting, your blog has been fun to read and an inspiration.

    Where can I see your work in LA or Orange County? I know that you had a 'small work ' at Randy Higbees - but I missed that.

    ReplyDelete