Monday, May 30, 2011

Sonoma Plein Air - Day 6


I got no pics from this day, so here are a few more sketches I did during the week~


Saturday. This is the big show and sale day at the Town Plaza. The weather looked perfectly sunny, calm, and pleasant. I headed down to the plaza, had my cup of coffee and of course my custard danish, then proceeded to set up. The other artists were all arriving and the place was abuzz with activity. I could see some great paintings hanging up around me.

When we officially "opened" at 10am, some of the serious collectors were already picking out their favorites. Early bird gets the best painting, as they say.

The show looked great, and I sold three paintings, (including the one that didn't go last night) which is better than I did last year. My paintings are priced a bit higher than the average and they tend to be more muted and quiet, which are some of the reasons why I don't sell as many as some of the others. I also don't paint too many "identifiably Sonoma" views either, which turns away collectors who want quintessential Sonoma views. But that's just the way it is. I'm not going to change the way I paint, and I can't lower my prices. But I know there are collectors who love and appreciate what I do, so it's just a matter of connecting with them. I feel pretty good about my four (three today + the Quickdraw) connections.

The weather turned wet in the afternoon so we had to cut out early, which was a bummer but there's nothing we could do about that. I heard they may move the event back to fall next year to take advantage of the more predictable weather. That'd be a good idea.

A bunch of us ended up at the bar on the plaza, and had one last drink and a little post-event pow-wow. All in all I had a great week of painting and hanging out with my tribe. Happy to have made new friends, too.

I'm sorry I don't have any photos from this day, but if anyone reading this have any shots (don't have to be of me or my work - just snaps of the event would be good) please send me some so I can put them up on this post.

7 comments:

  1. Great posts, as usual, Terry. I always enjoy reading your blog and learning from it and seeing all your wonderful paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have a shot or two to send to you on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry,
    What a fascinating artists'-point-of-view of this terrific event. I really enjoyed reading all of the posts and to see your sketches, paintings and what you were thinking.
    Congratulations for a successful event!
    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great posts and paintings over the Sonoma Plein Air. Well done on the sales Terry, worth every cent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your comments~ Yes this was a fun week of painting - It's the only plein air "event" I'm doing this year, so I tried to enjoy it as much as possible~

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good to see painters doing sketches.

    ReplyDelete