Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Figure Drawing Class







My weekly figure painting class at The School of Light and Color will, starting this week, turn into figure DRAWING class!!

I love short pose figure drawing. (2 - 20minutes)  I've always wanted to add a drawing class to my schedule, but I already have two weekly classes and I thought I wouldn't be able to add another class; I don't have enough time to devote to my own work as it is. 



I thought may be someone else could teach it (and I could sit in once in a while)  or we could start a weekly un-instructed session (like the painting sessions we do on friday mornings at SLC) but for various reasons, it hasn't happened.

Then I had an idea! How about I do figure painting class AND drawing class in three month rotations? I would teach painting three months, then switch to drawing three months, and so on. That way, I get to do both without adding a new class, and it will help to periodically refresh my students' chops, and keep things interesting.






We will be doing mostly 2 - 20 min. poses, emphasis is on gesture and shorthand form indication. (no jokes about "short hands" please LOL) 

It's what I love to do, and I firmly believe that gesture drawing skills like these are absolutely essential to becoming a better painter. The discipline really forces you to learn how to say more with less. Line economy translates directly to expressive and meaningful brushwork. Shorthand form indication will be critical in painting with more decisiveness and confidence. No noodling the hell out forms here! 




How important is gesture? It's the MOST important thing, as far as I'm concerned. Because it's the concept behind the drawing. You're communicating what the figure is doing, not what it looks like.  It's the communication of an idea, in other words. Not mindlessly copying what you see.







The sanguine and white drawing on toned paper is what we'll be doing for 20 minute poses. Demos? you bet. Lots of em.

I'm really excited to begin this class!  If you're interested in signing up, please contact the School of Light and Color;

The School of Light and Color
10030 Fair Oaks Blvd, Fair Oaks, CA 95628
(916) 966-7517

sarback@lightandcolor.com





4 comments:

  1. Love your work! If there isn't a big sea between us ill sure attend your classes! Congrats from Spain, Barcelona!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great. I go to a life drawing group but there is no instruction. It's amazing how challenging it is to do a good drawing. I'm impressed by what you have here.

    ReplyDelete