Tuesday, March 27, 2012

California Art Club's Gold Medal Exhibition


City Dwellers, 24 x 36 inches, oil on linen

I'm headed down to L.A. this weekend for the gala opening of the California Art Club's 101st Gold Medal Exhibition. 

I must admit I haven't been very active (OK, not active at all) in various clubs and associations in the past, and I've been told that I need to step it up. So I decided to get off my butt and start entering some juried shows. 

I'm actually very excited about being in this one not only because the prestige associated with the California Art Club, but I get to go and meet a lot of great artists whose work I've admired for a long time, but never have had the chance to meet. Plus I get to see their wonderful paintings all in one place, up close and personal. I'll be sure to come away inspired and with new ideas, too. 

On Sunday, I'm planning to watch Steve Huston's demo, which is going to be a real treat. Steve was my first teacher at Art Center way back in the eighties, before he was a famous fine artist. I had just been rejected from the degree program at Art Center, and decided to take some night classes there to tighten up my admissions portfolio. Steve was the instructor for the first class I took, which was either rendering or a portfolio workshop. (I can't remember)  

Back then he was doing a lot illustration work, and he would bring in his work sometimes to show us students. I remember my jaw dropping when he brought in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 video cover art. It was just so freakin' cool and really defined for me the difference between a wannabe (me) and a professional.  

A year later I got accepted into the full time program, and I had him again for a head drawing class. I wasn't even close to being ready to absorb all that he taught, but still I learned a ton and was constantly inspired.

Anyway, I am looking forward to watching him do his thing again. 

If any of you are attending the big opening, I'll see ya there!



2 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful that so many of us remember the inspiration or the inspiring person that helped us on our way. Have a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to have Steve Huston as a teacher. His work is amazing! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete