Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!


Happy Halloween!

As per tradition, we carved pumpkins last night.  I wanted to do some sort of a relief carving, as I've always been interested in the art form but never really understood how to do it. I'm thinking of the Lorenzo Ghiberti's door carvings on the Florence Cathedral.

It's easy enough to conceptualize the logic of compressing depth into just a few inches, quite another matter to actually do it. The thinking process is very different from sculpting "just" dimensionally.

Anyway, so I set out to carve a relief of a panda, but somehow, I got sidetracked and it ended up being a skull. It's not really a relief sculpture in the sense that the depth is not compressed - it's merely the front part of the full volumed form.

I used a pairing knife to do the whole thing. After last year's experiment, I did some research on professional pumpkin carving tools and I fully intended to get my hands on some, but I completely forgot, so I just made do.

Carving Pumpkins is a great tradition and we have a good time doing it as a family every year.

Have a safe and spooky Halloween!








2 comments:

  1. Amazing work - I shared on Facebook!

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, Nice, Very nice!
    Happy Belated Halloween. My favorite holiday.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete