Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sloane Merrill Gallery


I'm happy to announce the debut of my figures and nudes at Sloane Merrill Gallery, the hottest new gallery which just opened its doors in Boston!

Although I have far more mileage behind my figure drawings and paintings than my landscapes and cityscapes, I've never really shown them before now because 1) I couldn't find the right venue, and 2) until recently, I didn't feel they had enough of personal expression in them. 



Morning Whispers, 16 x 12 inches, oil  on linen


Galleries have their own preferences and missions, and established clientele. They may or may not want to show certain genres, regardless whether the work has merit or marketability. Some of my galleries didn't want to show nudes and told me as much, and others not in so many words but I inferred through conversations.


I really don't want to try to persuade or convert a gallery if they don't think these nudes are a good fit to begin with. The fact is, except for artists whose brand equity is already well established, paintings don't sell themselves. If they're in the back room of a gallery or even if they are hanging on walls, they are not going to sell without the enthusiasm of the gallery personnel behind it. Oh sure, there are exceptions, but exceptions don't pay the bills. You know what I mean.



Turning Away, 16 x 12 inches, oil on linen



I wanted to show my new figurative works with someone who wanted specifically to feature them - and not as we-also-have's.

So when Ali Ringenburg contacted me a few months ago and told me she was opening a brand new gallery in Boston and would love to show my NUDES, I didn't hesitate.

Normally, I'm rather cautious about working with new organizations and galleries and I decline vast majority of offers simply because I can readily see that they're only asking me because I'm a working artist. Sometimes they don't even know or care the kind of work I do. To them, it's a numbers game. To me, that's offensive.

Although I've never met Ali, I knew her as the gallery director at the Principle Gallery, who represent many top notch artists whose work I've long admired. I knew some of these artists personally and trusted their judgement, so I felt pretty comfortable with the idea of showing with the new gallery in Boston. When I subsequently had a nice chat with Ali over the phone, I couldn't wait to send her the paintings and have her introduce them to the world!



Speak Softly, 12 x 24 inches, oil on linen, sold



The gallery opened its doors earlier this month, and we are off to a good start. Speak Softly sold right away, which gives me great confidence about the marketability of these nudes, and the gallery's ability to reach the right audience.

Thanks Ali and Meghan, and a big congratulations on the successful launch of the gallery! Here's to continued success!

Check out the gallery's website; and their Facebook page.


And if you're in the Boston area, please go visit!

Sloane Merrill Gallery, 75 Charles Street, Boston MA. (617) 227-1775






7 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I'm quite far from Boston. But the exhibition looks great!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and I will be checking out that gallery in Boston! It's great to have such quality art here! Congratulations on the show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The nudes are wonderful! Congratulations and good luck with your show!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great, Terry! It seems really hard to find a gallery primarily interested in figurative work let alone nudes so that's really encouraging to hear. Are they only interested in established artists or do they have any interest in emerging artists?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry!
    Congratulations.
    Great art work.
    It is wonderful when others recognize good art. My next trip in town I will try to get to the gallery!
    Bravo!
    Your Massachusetts Art Buddy,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete