Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Minis

 Inclinations, 6 x 6 inches, oil on linen


What's up next!?  Well, I have these little stocking stuffers  miniature nudes in Randy Higbee's 6 x 6 show down in Southern California. This is a neat exhibition with lots of treasures, all 6 x 6 inches.

 Mysterious Ways, 6 x 6 inches, oil on linen

This year I decided to put in nudes for the first time. These were all painted using 5 minute charcoal studies as references, as is my current m.o. 

I thought they'd be easy to do, but turns out, painting figures at this scale –and not background or supporting roles but solitary figures featured– was more difficult than I expected. Fun to do, but each took as long as a larger painting might.


Not In So Many Words, 6 x 6 inches, oil on linen


As you can see, I used a fairly limited palette, focusing on the gesture and the mood. There's some interesting surface work happening too, but I had to restrain myself from getting carried away with that because at this scale, a little bit of abstraction goes a long way and it tends to blow up in your (my) face.

Each painting is floated in a 6 inch wide contemporary frame, and priced at $500.  Three together would make a great grouping on that wall you've been wanting to hang a painting on. What, you're not afraid of hanging nudes on your wall, are you? 



The show opens Saturday, December 8th. The reception (5 - 9pm) is sure to be a fun party, so don't miss it! 

If you'd like to add these paintings to your collection, please contact the gallery directly. If you wait till the show opens, you might be too late - don't say I didn't warn ya!


6 inch squared
Randy Higbee Gallery

December 8th - 21st
Opening Reception: Saturday, December 8th, 5 - 9pm

Randy Higbee Gallery is located at 102 Kalmus, Costa Mesa, CA  phone: (800) 506-7624





5 comments:

  1. Terry, Those are amazing pieces. Do you have any more available at your studio at the School of Light and Color?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eva, I have a bunch...in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your work and you frame them beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry .... In not so many words , I'd love to come over when I can get my act together and have you teach me ....you just have so much in your artistry and as a fine art teacher , I admire and would love to learn from .....umm to many words it seems :)

    ReplyDelete