Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Arcangelo 2


Arcangelo 2, oil on linen, 40 x 30 inches


I have been working on this painting for a few months now but I think it's finally finished. It is a larger, more expressive version of an earlier canvas, which was 24 x 20.  

I say I have been working on it for a few months, but 90% of it was done in the first week. I would let dry, find something else I want to fix, work on it, and let that dry. Every few days I'd see some little thing that I want to change and it and each time it would take a few minutes to a few hours of work, then another few days to dry. In this way, the last 10% of the painting took 90% of the time though most of that time was just waiting for it to dry.

Some marks had to be made wet into wet, while others had to be done on a dried surface, so it was a slow process even though the brushwork looks speedy and expressive. 

The palette I used is, as you can plainly see, very limited; Black, White, Transparent Earth Red, and Yellow Ochre. I used a lot of Liquin and Gamsol. I also did a lot of glazing, wiping, scraping and generally abusing the canvas in different ways.

I love how this turned out. Archangel Michael is a superhero of sorts, so the larger scale was very appropriate. In fact, I've started another, even larger version. I can't wait to see how that turns out!

The sculpture is by Peter Van Verschaffeldt, a Flemish (?) architect and sculptor, and this particular piece was created around the middle of the 18th Century.  It stands in Rome today. 



16 comments:

  1. Spectacular Terry! By far, I think my favorite of yours. It's an amazing piece and I'm glad to hear you'll be continuing the series. Big, bigger, BIGEST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this painting--it's your masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one bad ass painting Terry, and not just because of the subject matter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Susan! Will post the next one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Connie! A lot of help from P. V. Verschaffeldt:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Craig~! 'hope you're doing well !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome painting looking so nice. You are a so brilliant painter no doubt. I am waiting for your another shot !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, really dynamic, did you work from a sculpture or photos/drawings?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing painting , I love the approach here , I am painting a rework on my daughter in law , and much the same , I'm mostly a wet in wet painter but also like to wait and see things take shape as certain parts are drying and alot of contemplation along the way ...:) thankyou for the beauty of your work , most inspiring ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning painting, Terry! It's beautiful, dramatic all around and I always marvel at the exciting surfaces you achieve. Also love the landscapes from your previous post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your comments, Aine, Sandra, and Lorraine~!

    Aine, I used a photo that I took in Rome.

    ReplyDelete