Terry Miura • Studio Notes


Sunday, May 5, 2013

Just How Popular is Plein Air Painting?





Here I am conducting a plein air demo during my workshop this past weekend.

I have noticed that in recent years, plein air painting has become very popular, and have indeed grown into an industry of sorts. But I did not realize just how popular, until this weekend when I showed up in Locke to do my workshop and was surprised to learn that two of the students who had signed up didn't quite fit the typical demographic.

Nonetheless, they were very attentive and I think they enjoyed the demo. They had to leave early because they forgot to bring their gear. Later I saw them hanging out in front of Al the Wops, the town bar looking like they owned the place. I think may be they did.

I was going to write about about my workshop at some length, but after three days I am exhausted.

Thanks Jim, for taking the photo!

8 comments:

  1. Ahh, you got me! :)

    It took me a while to realise what you meant. Classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious photo Terry! Plein air is fun but so much work if the weather doesn't co-operate. Love that Del-Rio painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny! I hope these two show up at my workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take their workshop book if they didn't take it.

    I mostly see dogs when I paint. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This photo says so much - so plein air is very popular, eh? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your comments!
    The pic made it on Outdoorpainters website :-D

    http://www.outdoorpainter.com/news/because-even-painting-websites-need-cat-photos.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one of the funniest blog post I have ever seen, Terry.

    ReplyDelete