Terry Miura • Studio Notes


Saturday, February 28, 2015

Nocturne in Blue, Nocturne in Red


Chicago Blues, 16 x 20 inches, oil on linen

After I said in the last post that I'd post a blue cityscape, I realized I had already shipped this one off and the only photo I had of it was a crappy cell phone snapshot that doesn't show much of the subtler color shifts. Damn. 

It's no secret that being a professional painter doesn't mean you get to paint all day. You have to take care of the business end of things as well - marketing, promotion, maintaining relationships with galleries, event organizers, and collectors. Packing, crating and shipping, accounting and bookkeeping, doing photo shoots, inventory, website and social media management, teaching classes and workshops, doing prep work for teaching and workshops... it goes on and on. The actual painting time, sad to say, is less than 50% of my working time. I need an assistant! But of course I can't afford one, so I have to do it all. Sound familiar? Nobody said it was going to be easy, I know, I know... 

One of the tedious and time consuming tasks is doing photo-shoots and inventory. My studio is not huge, so I don't have a permanent set up for photo shoots. Each time I do a shoot - and I try to do multiple paintings at the same session- I have to move stuff around and set up the lights and the camera. As I'm not a photographer, it takes me a while to get a satisfactory shot. And then I have to work on the file to get the colors as close as I can to the original. Then I have to enter all the pertinent information into a database, so I can keep track of where it's shipped off to. 

What makes it so inefficient for me, is that often I can't resist making changes to a painting after all the shooting and inventory-ing is done. And so I have to repeat the process, sometimes many times. I think a painting is finished, so I spend time doing all that administrative stuff, and then as soon as it's all done, I see something that needs changing. I can't leave it alone. It's like seeing a typo on your resume.  You can't possibly send it out without correcting it!

...And then there are times I have to send out paintings in a hurry and I either forget or don't have the time to take all the necessary pre-shipping steps, especially if multiple projects happening at once. 

I don't know how other artists deal with all these non-painting tasks. How do you do it? 




Midnight Crossing, 12 x 24 inches, oil on linen

OK that's enough ranting. I do have a decent photo of a recent RED cityscape nocturne, so we'll talk about this on instead. This is another Chicago painting. The color system I used is obviously the single color-theme system. Nocturnes tend to very tonal so this approach works pretty well. 

There are no color variations caused by local color shifts, so I included light sources that were different colors just to break up the monotony. 

I also organized the overall color/ value range so that the darker areas are predominantly red, then as it gets lighter, it leans to orange. and there are some yellows in and around the very light valued areas. 

In setting up the color / value structure this way, I had to be very careful not to let the more visible mid range values get too high in chroma. The orange range kept sticking out, so I had to repaint it several times to gray it down to where it wasn't an issue.

The darkest areas aren't pure black. It has a lot of red in it - I used Transparent Oxide Red, Alizarin, and Permanent Red mixed with black - to 1) harmonize with the rest of the painting, and 2) bring up the value a little bit for an atmospheric effect. All the city lights would be illuminating and bouncing around in the moisture in the air, so the dark areas needed to have a colored "veil" of sorts, in front of them.

Not so much in the foreground, but I still didn't go all the way black because I wanted to make sure the area harmonized.

The figure in the middle has no detail. I relied on gesture and a few select rim lights to pull it off. Having a few soft edges, especially in the backside of the figure, helped to give it a sense of motion, especially as it juxtaposes against the sharper edged elements in the stopped car.

Early on I had more detail in the periphery but I took them out and darkened the outer parts of the composition, so as to have more of a focus on the figure, and to make it more moody - later in the night when there are fewer pedestrians and shop lights. The decision was inspired by the title, actually. After I called it Midnight Crossing, I realized my painting looked more like prime time, what with other pedestrians and illuminated windows, so I took them all out to conform to the title.

Sometimes having a title beforehand helps a great deal in composing a painting because you're making design decision based on a solid concept. You're forced to communicate an idea, rather than impose a rationalization onto an otherwise "just a pretty picture".

I'm doing taxes this week. Ugh. I'll be back with something new after I've recovered!


4 comments:

  1. I love the blue street scene. I don't use Prussian, but I will have to try it. I like Pthaylo Blue but I don't use it a lot. It's great for ocean paintings along with the Pthaylo Green.
    Anyway I had to comment about the tedious stuff we have to take care of as artists. I can relate! And for me, it is when I take the photo that I notice things that need to be changed. Because of this I started to take shots of my paintings in progress. It gives me a fresh look at my painting and I usually see what needs to happen (or un-happen). Anyway, thanks for the post Terry. I feel for you and your tax task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I notice lots of things wrong with my painting only after looking at the photo. I've gotten in the habit of estimating two extra months if there is any sort of deadline. That's still not enough time!

      Delete
  2. I take the shot, post it, realize what's wrong with it, fix it, set up the camera again, take the pic, post it, realize what's still can be improved, fix it.....on and on but usually not more than three times. I have dreams of motorized camera lights that descend from the ceiling.
    Enjoy your work. Hope to meet you when you come to Bainbridge Island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darrell~! Yes, a camera and lights that come down from the ceiling would be pretty awesome. Or a bigger studio. :-D I'm looking forward to Bainbridge Island!

      Delete