Terry Miura • Studio Notes


Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Pratique des Arts





 I am very happy to be included in the current issue of Pratique des Arts, a French art publication.

This is an issue focusing on the art of portraiture and the figure, and I was asked to be a part of it.
There is a six page feature on me and my work~ How cool is that?

Since I quit doing illustration some eight years ago, I don't get to be in magazines that often, so I got pretty excited. And to have my figurative works featured in a magazine, well that's a first for me. I have had landscapes and cityscapes picked up by magazines a few times, but to have the figure stuff recognized is pretty sweet.

It is not a secret that figures are in general harder to sell, so many galleries don't want to take them on. And from a business perspective, I understand that and don't blame the galleries for not wanting to show my figures - nudes or clothed - but as an artist, this is where I come closest to finding my voice, and feel a certain conviction in the authenticity of my identity in the expression that I'm able to achieve.

So to have this part of my repertoire recognized is really special to me.




The article is based on an interview that I did (in English). The article itself is in French, so I can't read it but my French speaking friend tells me they made me sound smarter than I am, so that's good.







In the interview I did talk about my philosophy and processes, and why I do the things I do. I often think about the whys of my processes, but to articulate it so that my intensions are understood is not an easy thing for someone who prefers to communicate visually, not verbally.






Still, I think it came out nicely. The layout is hip and the printing is pretty good, too. Having been a print illustrator for 17 years, I know how bad magazine printing can be. I was pretty happy with the result in this magazine.

So if you're in a France, check it out~ Let me know what you think!



7 comments:

  1. The article looks good, plus having it in French makes it kind of high-brow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Terry! Although I can't read French, those of us who regularly follow your blog are familiar with your exploration of the figure and your ongoing flirtation with 'the temptation of abstraction." Your paintings look wonderful in the article. Six pages! Wow. Well deserved. Congratulations again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce! I appreciate that!

      Delete
  3. Excellent article, Terry. I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete