Terry Miura • Studio Notes


Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Plein Air Magazine



May be you've already seen it on my Facebook page or on Instagram (@terrymiura) or on twitter (this one I have an account but I don't know how to use it really) or on not-too-frequent e-newsletter, or in the actual magazine, but I'm in the current issue of Plein Air Magazine.

I'm super excited to be featured (5 pages!) in this magazine not only because I get to be among all the greats working today (and some from the past) whose work I've long admired, but also because the printing is just so damn good!

Because I worked as a freelance illustrator for magazines and book publishers for nearly two decades, I know how difficult it is to get a good reproduction. Usually, they don't even come close. As an illustrator for print media, I learned the hard way that the final "product" is not the painting, but what appears on the printed page. As such, I had to create images with the printed image in mind, punching value contrast and edge contrast (making sharp edges really mean something) I had to do that because  the subtleties just didn't reproduce on a typical magazine page.

Nowadays, I don't even think about the printed page so my paintings are full of close values and subtle grays. Frankly, I didn't have high expectations about how it would reproduce. I chose images which had good, clear value organizations, but still, I was prepared to be disappointed.

But when I received my copies of the magazines and opened it to my page, I was astounded by the accuracy of the printed images. All I could do was mutter "...wow!" When I realized that I hadn't even given them the CMYK files, I was doubly impressed.  (RGB files are for computer screens, CMYK is for offset printing)

My hat's off to Plein Air Magazine for making me look good!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

And the article? I was never worried about it. I knew I was in good hands with the editor, Steve Doherty. And so far, I've been receiving a lot of really positive feedback.  Thank you Steve!!

If you don't subscribe to Plein Air Magazine, check it out at a bookstore. It's a beautiful magazine with great content. You might want to subscribe to it~

If you've seen the article, let me know what you think!!


3 comments:

  1. I had to let my subscription slide as the international price became too high as the Aussie dollar dropped. I enjoyed the magazine and would loved to have this issue in my collection.

    As an aside, I work for a newspaper and I would prefer RGB files these days as it allows us to filter colours to suit our needs. CMYK is a bit limiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very good article, I think. Parts of it I've read three times because it speaks well to my current need to do more experimentation and exploration. I was pleasantly surprised to see your name on the cover and it was the first article I turned to. Having seen some of those paintings I can agree to the accuracy of the printing....didn't know they were that good. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so thrilled for you! It's even a fight these days to get into a gallery so to have 5 pages in such a great magazine is extraordinary! Congratulations!
    gilyorkart.com

    ReplyDelete